Some Visited Concerts
This page is a kind of appendix to my personal home page.
Below is a list of some important concerts/gigs which
I have seen/listened.
- 1975 September: Remu & Hurriganes at Vaala Sports Hall. This group
was the first great rock band in Finland.
- 1980-09-14 Kauko Röyhkä & Narttu. Rattori-Lupi II, Oulu, Finland.
I remember that during this particular Sunday night Kauko's group
sounded very good. Rattori-Lupi was a legendary club in Oulu.
- 1982-11-02 Rainbow. Oulu Hockey Arena. It was incredible that such
a famous group came to Oulu. I remember that the drummer (Bobby
Rondinelli) played a drum solo utilizing double bass drumming.
- 1983-05-14 22-Pistepirkko. This band, which later became somewhat famous
internationally, played an interesting concert at the Oulu
Municipal Library. I remember that I enjoyed the concert very
much although I do not remember what they played. The name of
the concert was 'Glass Elephant', 'Lasinen Norsu' in Finnish.
- 1985-12-15 Dingo. Rattori-Lupi III, Oulu, Finland. Dingo was a phenomenally
popular 'soft' rock band in Finland.
- 1988-12-22 Motörhead. Hammersmith Odeon, London, England.
I believe that Hammersmith Odeon is the place to listen
to this band. I must confess that I do not remember much about
this gig. They still used the 'Bomber' that is depicted in the
cover of No Sleep 'til Hammersmith.
- 1990-08-04 The Rolling Stones. Eriksberg, Gothenburg, Sweden.
This was the first time that I saw this great band. Although I
remember too little about the concert, it was great traveling to
the concert. During these years, Finland was a too remote place for
these megastars. The boat that took us to Sweden was quite
occupied with Stones fans who traveled 1000 kilometers to
see their idols.
- 1993-09-11 Tina Turner. Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, California.
A great Tina show in an outdoor venue.
- 1997-08-01 Michael Jackson. Olympic Stadium, Berlin, Germany.
Michael sounded very good at this stadium that has been built
for the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Adolf Hitler could probably never
imagine that some day so many people might come to listen to this 'black'
man in his Olympic Stadium.
- 1999-11-26 Motörhead. Oulu Hockey Arena, Finland.
This was the 'new' Motörhead.
- 2000-07-07 Ultra Bra. Kuusisaari, Oulu, Finland. The music of this
band makes me feel that life is beautiful.
- 2003-07-16 The Rolling Stones. Olympic Stadium, Helsinki, Finland.
This might be the best concert I have ever visited. The weather was
fantastic. The attitude of the Stones was that, if some people have
become old in this world, they do not belong to them.
- 2004-06-20 David Bowie. Provinssirock, Seinäjoki, Finland.
David Bowie is one of those great artists that I had to go and
- 2008-05-02 ABBA The Show presented by a group named Waterloo.
Teatria, Oulu, Finland. This sounded like the real ABBA. The sound
engineers of the group had done their job in the most professional
- 2008-12-29 HIM. Teatria, Oulu, Finland. HIM is a great Finnish export product.
- 2010-07-31 Europe. QStock Festival, Oulu, Finland. Europe is a fine
Swedish band. They have a huge hit song named The Final Countdown. One reason
I went to see the band was that I wanted to know how the bass drum should
be played in The Final Countdown. Now I know it but I could not play the
- 2010-08-21 U2. Olympic Stadium, Helsinki, Finland.
With my friend Seppo we went to see this concert because, for the time
being, no Rolling Stones concerts were available. U2 is a great band and
Bono a great singer but, for me, this music is not ... suitable.
- 2011-11-18 Maya Paakkari & Band. Petrelli Club, Oulu, Finland.
Maya sang Rock'n'Roll of Led Zeppelin this night, and it was just great.
Copyright © Kari Laitinen